Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Rules Of Kids

So, some things I know for sure about kids. These are like laws of physics, but infinitely more rigid, and equally painful.

  1. In a closed car, children will scream. Loud.
  2. If there's a mess to be made, your child will find it.
  3. With infinite responses at their disposal, "no" is always the first word out of any kid's mouth.
  4. When you say "evil" and "sly", your kids hear "cool" and "awesome."
  5. Given the choice, a kid will eat a piece of candy the size of their own head.
There's more, of course, but I just got back from a car trip with my kids, which is the equivalent of passing through a black hole and coming out on the other side of the universe. I'm a bit frazzled and short-tempered. There's a rule for that, too.

2 comments:

  1. We have some friends who just spent a week camping in the Dry Tortugas with their two kids (ages 12 and 10). They say it was fun. Me, I'm thinking 7th level of Hell. I said to C, "I shudder to contemplate spending a week camping ANYWHERE with either of our families."

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Denise and I first started dating I used to watch her brother, who's 16 years younger than her, in the evenings so she could get school work done. The first night, she went out to pick up our dinner and the moment he realized she was gone he stood at the front door and screamed until she came back. That was the last time I let her go get dinner.

    ReplyDelete