Monday, October 12, 2009

Monday - Shotgun Rules

So, it's Monday morning. I've got a mountain of work I'm trying to climb. Only one cup of coffee aboard the system so far, no coherent thoughts in my brain - and isn't that just a great reason to keep reading? - but I want to not disappoint all the readers out there. All, like, three of you who tune in regularly. So rather than have something organized and coherent, I'm taking the shotgun approach, hoping that if I fire enough little nuggets, one or more will stick in you.

  • Glenn Beck is a moron. He's an hysterical little girl, with a shaky grasp of both politics and history, who hopes that if he's shrill enough you won't realize how asinine his ideas are. The irony is that his listeners/viewers apparently don't recognize his tactics as those favored by the very shadowy political movements he wants you to fear. Hitler could shout with the best of them, just like you, Glenn.
  • Nancy Grace seems to come from the same journalistic school. If you're loud, you must be right. Her confrontation with John Gosselin did something I didn't think was possible: made me feel bad for him.
  • The Phillies played baseball in 20-degree weather last night. This to me is a clear sign that places where winter falls this early should not have baseball teams, and that THE SEASON GOES ON TOO DAMN LONG! In the 1970 World Series, with the Oriels of my boyhood dreams, there were two games played by this time in the calendar, and we aren't even out of the playoffs, yet.
  • I have to admit, the Yankees played a couple of great games. I still hate them.
  • Although I can appreciate the historical symmetry of a Dodgers/Yankees series, that's only marginally more interesting than a LA/LA series. Go Phils!
  • Cub Scouts has come a long way since I was a kid. Camping in a fort, with an outdoor movie and indoor plumbing really isn't "roughing it."
  • It's frighteningly easy to get yourself piled with work, just by being a nice person and having a genuine desire to help people out. So I've heard.
  • Many parents don't understand the concept of movie ratings. Apparently, they think: "Yeah, R. That means it's something the family watches together." On a psychotherapy note: if you take your little kid to see Zombieland, you can't complain at them for not being able to get to sleep, or if they start gnawing on your fleshy parts.
  • Nobel Peace Prize. I'm just sayin'.
  • And finally, dinner with famous comics guys is a lot of fun. Listening to Mike Mignola and John Arcudi go at it and getting a glimpse inside the Hellboy universe... good times.
So, there, in no particular order was my week. Go ahead, pick out the pellets.

2 comments:

  1. Glenn Beck is a schmuck who just likes to hear himself talk. He's an entertainer (if you can even call him that) and doesn't know jack about politics. Why Fox allows him to say and do things he does is beyond me (stupid 1st Amendment). And, clearly, anyone who thinks trying to save the country's economy is a waste of time and government spending should not have the right to even say the word "politics".

    The length of the baseball season is what makes the game what it is. And that's why I don't like football (along with the homo-eroticism), the season is too short for me. Plus, you only get a game a week from your team in the NFL. With baseball, generally, you get 5 games a week. I'll admit I wish the playoffs moved quicker. For example, the NYY and LAA both won yesterday and they won't play until Friday. Which is entirely retarded because that now gives the teams a week to lose their shit. Great.

    I remember I think it was in the '98 playoffs, my memory is a little hazy. Andy Pettite was on the mound and it was snowing in the Bronx...in October. I could be wrong, but that's just how I remember it.

    To be honest, even though a NY/LA or a LA/LA series would be pretty cool (although I would prefer NY/LA) I'm kind of pulling for a Yankees/Phillies series. Even though regardless of who wins, I would probably get murdered.

    Clearly if you take your children to see Zombieland there's something wrong, no matter how awesome it was.

    I'm curious to see where he donates the money from the Nobel Foundation...

    I'm quite jealous about the Mignola/Arcudi dinner, I'm sure it was more than entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate you so much right now. Guess why. If you need a clue it had something to do with dinner.

    (But thanks for being a good guy anyway.)

    ReplyDelete