Monday, August 20, 2012

Bean Me

In a break from the political snark I post on Facebook, and the writing on films, let's talk chow.

I spend way too much time thinking about food and drink.  As my father always says, "it's the one indulgence that's also a necessity, so you may as well enjoy it."  That sentence can be used to justify a multitude of sins, but I'll save that for a post somewhere down the road where I'm feeling a need for contrition.  This morning, let's just chat about coffee.

Many people have written about this brew over the years and taken both high and low opinions of it.  I've gone through long periods of not drinking it, only to return as if to an old friend with open arms, or mouth, as it were.  As I vaguely remember, there's a chapter on coffee and the rise of coffee houses in Tastes of Paradise, that covers both the social and economic implications of coffee.  Partially, coffee was a reaction against alcohol with the added benefit of being a stimulant that coincided with a rise in worker productivity and work ethic.

I personally see no need to even consider the either/or coffee/alcohol debate.  Both are beverages that are a part of my daily life and I take them both seriously.  Caveat: by seriously, I don't mean I'm a snob about it, I just spend my time thinking about it and, when the opportunity presents itself, I make my coffee in a variety of ways.  The only bad coffee for me is coffee that's too weak.

It may seem excessive, but right now, I have three choices in my house every morning.  There's the standard drip coffee maker, which has the advantage of having a timer, so bleary mornings don't require  even basic culinary skills.  I'm fueling that with a bag of coffee brought back directly from Panama by a friend for us.  It has a nutty, sweet flavor.  Then, there's the big pitcher of cold-brewed iced coffe base (see sidebar for simple instructions) which I cold brew every week from Cafe Du Monde's coffee/chicory blend.  This is for those really hot, sweaty mornings.  Finally, there's my French Press, which is proof positive that the simplest methods often provide the best results.  In the press I'm brewing locally roasted beans in a light/dark mix from Burlap & Bean.

I am not a coffee expert, and I don't spend a lot of time tasting different varieties.  But I do like a strong cup of joe to get me going in the morning.  In the see-saw of medical advice, the pendulum has swung back in coffee's favor.  Even popular entertainment recognizes the import of coffee: Jerry and Larry debate coffee v. tea in this episode of Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee.  Who am I to argue with those guys?

No comments:

Post a Comment