Thursday, February 21, 2013

On Projects

In the long dark of the winter months, you've got a lot of time to sit and drink--er, soul-search.  You review accomplishments, obsess over failures, come up with grandiose plans for the future.  My plans often take the shape of various projects.

These include a wide range of disciplines, from cooking to home improvement to the arts to film to high-tech.  I've been accused of taking things too seriously and possibly that's an accusation that sticks, but I'll tell you something: when I look backwards through my life, it's the things I didn't take seriously enough that haunt me.  Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against being a dabbler.  Life should be about experiencing and experimenting with a lot of different things and I don't think anyone has a duty to be an expert in all of them.

When I undertake a winter project, though, I try to take it seriously enough to approach it in an organized way.  Generally, this is in self-interest, because I want to have something to write about later.  So, if I can get myself out of my own winter doldrums, I'll start reporting on my projects here.

Next: The Daily Newspaper Project

No comments:

Post a Comment