Monday, March 23, 2009

In The Details

When I was a kid, I wanted nothing more than to draw comics. Somewhere in my mom's house are a number of old sketch books filled with pencil-smeared doodles of Conan and Iron Man and Batman. Over the years, my desire to draw gradually subsided and naturally, I never became a penciller extrordinaire. You know why? It wasn't because I lacked talent. I can sit down and really draw something if I want to. No, I blame it on the details.

When I was drawing, I'd hit a point where it was good enough for me, even though I knew it wasn't "right" or "done". I was satisfied with the broad strokes, I couldn't be bothered to stick with any picture until all the details were in line. That's how I knew I wasn't cut out to be an artist: I could let it slide. If you find a true passion, you don't let that happen.

Take writing, for instance.

The details matter to me, when I'm committing myself in print. My writing is an expression of my inner self that I want to reflect positively on me and those associated with me. So I take care to get the details straight. Little things -- like punctuation, grammar, and spelling -- aren't optional. There isn't a computer made that doesn't have a spell-check on it, so why aren't people using it? I come into contact with a fair number of would-be writers and it's appalling the number of them that can't put a basic English sentence together.

You could blame texting, claim we're training a tribe of sub-literate thumb-monkeys from grade-school when we give them their first cell phones. (What do 3rd graders really have to say to each other that requires constant connectivity? Nothing nice, I bet.) You could blame the internet, e-mail, twitter, even blogging (there's my daily dose of post-modern self-reflexiveness). But I use all that stuff and I still manage to be coherent in most formats. I also know the difference between a tweet and a film script or novel or adademic paper. I know what the details look like, because I pursue them daily.

If you don't crave to understand, master, and manipulate those details... well, you really shouldn't be thinking about being a writer. I refuse to read your non-sensical prattle, because I have no desire to teach you something you should have learned in the fourth grade. If you don't want it bad enough, if you can let it slide, you won't ever be a writer. So make up your mind and adjust your priorities. This is not easy work.

But God's in the details, and I'm looking.

6 comments:

  1. Maybe YOU can use all these new-fangled intarnet things and still know how to use periods, but let me tell you about the generation BEHIND ME...

    I was on a film shoot last month in a middle school and, in my down time, was unceremoniously going through their desks for something to entertain me and came upon one of those books for girls where it asks, like, "What's your favorite ice cream?" and you write in your answer...

    Every 'you' in that book was 'u', every 'to' was '2', every 'you're' or 'your' was 'ur'. It was terrifying! If kids keep seeing stuff like this (in PRINT no less) it just brain washes them further...

    ...or maybe I'm just cynical because I don't know anyone other than Colin who texts/blogs/etc using capital letters. What's wrong with capital letters!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm torn on this between fuddy-duddy conservatism and things-change-language-evolves liberalism. On the one hand, what's a 'ur' or two between friends, but on the other hand, indiscriminite apostrophes make me apoplectic. But I'll always come down in favor of the twin pillars of style:
    1. Communicate clearly and precisely.
    2. Don't confuse, obstruct, or piss off your reader.

    So I guess my feeling is that anyone who uses completely standard English in every email, IM, and text can only be called a pedant -- but anyone who uses 'u 2' or the like anywhere else can only be called a moron.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Utilizing what you've been taught and grew up with makes you a pedant? Oh the nerve of you young whippersnappers... :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, it's INSISTING on standard English in all situations, no matter how informal, that makes you a pedant. Or insisting on belaboring a point, I suppose. *blush*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, it's posts like this that remind me how much I miss you, Matthew, LOL!

    ReplyDelete